General advice from Chill IT – a Microsoft certified Gold Partner
The end of Microsoft Support means that Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or support on PCs running Windows 7. This will increase the risk to protecting your company data and protecting your customers privacy.
Is this a big issue?
Windows 7 was launched on the 22nd of July in 2009 and has been incredibly popular. Even today reports from Netmarketshare show that up to 39% of PCs are still using Windows 7.
However, all good things come to an end. Microsoft Support for Windows 7 will end in January 2020*. This means no more security updates** will be issued, making all machines running Windows 7 increasingly vulnerable, and a clear target for malicious actors.
What can I do?
- Check your assets for machines running Windows 7.
- Make sure that these machines are up to date with their Microsoft patches**.
- Upgrading an existing machine to Windows 10could be an option if you have a PC that is only 1 – 2 years old and has high RAM and intel processor. In reality few older machines will perform well after the upgrade.
- Or replace the PC and move to windows 10.
- Contact Chill IT 1300 796 246 / firstname.lastname@example.org if you need advice.
**There are also important patches that need to be downloaded now or support effectively stops in July 2019. Source: https://www.techradar.com/au/news/if-you-miss-this-vital-windows-7-patch-updates-will-stop-working-in-july