Parramatta Light Rail Stage 2 is one step closer with an additional $200 million allocated from Restart NSW reserved funding towards this vital project in the 2023-24 NSW Budget to expedite the project’s planning processes.
Parramatta Light Rail Stage 2 is a critical transport link that will connect the Parramatta CBD to Sydney Olympic Park via the growing communities of Camellia, Rydalmere, Ermington, Melrose Park and Wentworth Point.
The 10-kilometre extension will include 14 new light rail stops that will provide residents with a long-awaited public transport link and unlock future housing growth, serving a population of over 277,586 by 2041.
Construction of this game-changing project will be phased, with the first phase being the construction of a 320-metre-long light rail and active transport bridge over the Parramatta River between Wentworth Point and Melrose Park.
Work on the new bridge will begin in 2024 and will include a new 8.5-kilometre walking and bike riding path that will run alongside the new light rail corridor.
This latest commitment comes as updates to the alignment of the future Parramatta Light Rail Stage 2, presented as part of the project’s Environmental Impact Statement last year, are released.
Planned changes to the Parramatta Light Rail Stage 2 alignment include:
- Camellia foreshore to Rydalmere alignment and bridge amendment
- Bridge and route alignment between Melrose Park and Wentworth Point
- Replace existing bridge at Hill Road
The key benefits of these proposed amendments include:
- Easier connections between the Rydalmere Ferry Wharf and future light rail services
- A shorter route to improve light rail journey times
- Reduced environmental impacts to the Narawang Wetland at Sydney Olympic Park
- Reduced impacts to sensitive mangrove vegetation on the Parramatta River
- Retention of significant fig trees and improved open spaces at Eric Primrose Reserve in Rydalmere
Planning approval for the full project is expected in early 2024, and procurement is now underway for the Wentworth Point to Melrose Park bridge construction works package.
Find out more about the project amendments here.