With the successful opening of the North West Metro in late May, the NSW Government has released a Corporate Plan for Metro 2019 – 2021. The plan outlines Transport Benefits and Placemaking and City Building Benefits.
Sydney Metro, including Metro West, is identified as a key infrastructure project as part of the NSW Government’s infrastructure investment. However, Sydney Metro is more than just a portfolio of transport projects; it plays an important part in catalysing and supporting both economic and social outcomes for the State, which will define urban amenity across Greater Sydney for generations to come. Sydney Metro provides a range of high value benefits to Greater Sydney and NSW:
- Transport benefits – providing a step change in the capacity and customer experience of Sydney’s Public Transport network:
– Strengthening connections and access across Sydney’s Global Economic Corridor
– Providing dedicated turn up and go services, delivering more trains, more often along key corridors, with multiple destinations and interchanges with the wider transport network
– Delivering a significant step-change in rail capacity through the Sydney CBD by providing major congestion relief on key existing corridors on the Sydney Trains metropolitan rail network
– Strengthening the overall transport network by allowing other modes such as buses to be deployed to more efficient routes and to provide stronger regional connections
– Providing a low-pollution, low-carbon transport service
- Placemaking and city-building benefits – supporting the most urbanised area in Australia through increasing connectivity, which in turn increases economic productivity and land use efficiency:
– Increasing employment opportunities for workers within the corridor
– Catalysing more choice in housing, especially for affordable and accessible housing
– Savings and efficiencies in infrastructure provision through infill developments
– Improvements in social equity through improved travel times and highly accessible services Future Transport 2056 and A Metropolis of Three Cities describes a mass-transit future in which the need for long commutes is reduced through expanded high-frequency ‘hub-and-spoke’ network, accessibility to jobs is increased through proximity to successful and vibrant places, and where infrastructure delivery is effectively and affordably aligned with longer-term, place-based growth requirements.
The full Sydney Metro Corporate Plan 2019 – 2021 can be accessed here