The Homify initiative started in June 2020 to reimagine everyday public spaces in Sydney Olympic Park for the local community. Extensive engagement was undertaken with community and stakeholders including a co-design process to develop ideas that bring colour, joy and comfort to our local spaces, spark social connections and support local business.
Community feedback included developing:
- More colour, fun and sense of local community in our public places
- Welcoming places that attract and surprise passersby to dwell and stay
- Small regular events, markets, pop-up activations and live music
- Vibrant streets and laneways with colour and discovery experiences
- Variety of comfortable outdoor seating and furniture
The concepts developed for Sydney Olympic Park public spaces during Homify were also submitted in the NSW Government Public Spaces Ideas Competition. The project demonstrates how government, industry and business can partner with the community to co-design and reimagine innovative public spaces. ‘Transformational experience’ infographics were developed for each site, which identified key activation opportunities for each site and its surrounds to guide the development of ongoing community experiences. This is now feeding into concept designs and activation options for each site and an overall framework of ‘Rings of Experience’. Homify ideas inspire prototyping, experimentation, and pop-ups to progressively go from temporary to semi-permanent to permanent changes.